Japan Press Weekly No. 2078
Japan Press Weekly #2071
December 22, 2010 - January 04, 2011
IN THIS ISSUE
Chair Shii delivers New Year message
Japanese Communist Party Chair Shii Kazuo made the speech at the JCP New Year assembly on January 4, calling on all JCP members to make further efforts towards major progress in nationwide local elections.
‘Sympathy budget’: Japan’s extraordinary generosity to US forces
The DPJ-led government announced on December 14 that it agreed with the U.S. government to conclude a new special agreement in order to maintain about 190 billion yen in the annual “sympathy budget” for the stationing of the U.S. forces in Japan. Under the new arrangement, a total of nearly one trillion yen of Japanese citizens’ tax money will be poured into the coffers of the U.S. military in Japan over the coming five years.
What? Auto repair company is running public libraries?
An auto repair company is undertaking the administration and operations of public libraries in Tokyo’s Adachi Ward, causing cutbacks in public services and creating a “working poor” in the public sector.
* Komei appeals to DPJ for its ‘new welfare’ vision
* Japan gave free use of Okinawa in US Vietnam War
* Japan supported US nuclear training in Okinawa
* A/C for 100% of US base schools, 22.5% of Tokyo schools
* ‘Sympathy budget’: Japan’s extraordinary generosity to US forces
* 2011 draft budget soft on big business, harsh on households Akahata editorial
* Gov’t forcibly begins US helipad construction
* Gov’t suspends base subsidies to Nago City
* Base removal is only way to eliminate its danger
* UN: respect food sovereignty
* What? Auto repair company is running public libraries?
* Prosecutors still oppose transparency in interrogations Akahata editorial (excerpts)
* JCP offers Party Program class
* Shii congratulates Brazil’s new president
* Chair Shii delivers New Year message